-->

Pages

9.28.2011

The Mackerel Who Looked At Me

So I must first provide you with a disclaimer for this posting . . . I promised to deliver pretty, colorful photos of food and this picture isn't all that pretty, artistic, and only a little colorful. However, the photo below reminds me of a moment of true culture shock last week: my lunch stared at me when it was brought out.

Two freshly caught mackerel with steamed potatoes and a carrot salad. Yummy, despite the eyes! I will proudly say that despite my initial surprise, I tucked in and thoroughly (albeit delicately) enjoyed my meal. The mackerel who looked at me also relayed an important message: it's vital to have a connection with our food. Especially when we are eating animal life. I was very aware that these little fish were swimming around very recently and this forced me to connect to my food as something that was alive and not just a cooked up meal.

Thanks for the little lesson mackerel!

No comments: